Hundreds of boaters are converting to electric propulsion each year…should you?
Why Choose Electric Propulsion?
- Save fuel– with solar, wind, or shore charging, you could be 100% fuel free
- Light weight– an electric propulsion system is typically 1/3 the weight of a diesel system
- Quiet– very quiet
- No emissions– better for the environment, healthier for the passengers
- Clean engine room and bilge
- Very little maintenance– estimated at less than 1/20 of the maintenance costs of a diesel engine in the first decade, even less compared to diesel as time goes on. Due to the few moving parts and simplicity of the system, much, if not all, of the maintenance can be done by the owner
- Regeneration capabilities allow you can charge your batteries while you are sailing
- Improved maneuverability– High torque at low RPM makes maneuvering at low speeds and in tight spaces more precise. With an electric motor it is possible to go from full ahead to full back instantaneously.
- Extremely Reliable– which translates to increased safety
Check out this conversion story from Sail Magazine.
Representing the manufacturers featured below, OceanPlanet Energy will find a system that will work for your boat and for your desired use.
Based in Golden Valley, MN, Electric Yacht has been providing yachts with high-quality shaft drive electric propulsion systems since 2006. Click here for more information about Electric Yacht products. Or, you can check out the Electric Yacht website.
Based in Santa Barbara, CA, The Electric Propeller Company designs, manufactures and installs Electric Propulsion Systems for boats up to 50 feet long. Electroprop design is a result of over 10 years research into the best components made specifically for marine propulsion. Electroprops are built using gears, known for their efficiency and maintenance free operation. This translates to greater range under battery powered operation. Click here for more information on Electroprop.